Steps To Teaching @ GCPS
Earned a Bachelor’s degree with 2.5 GPA and interested in Teaching?
Here are 2 options and basic steps for eligibility:
- Pass (or exempt*) the GACE Program Admission (Basic Skills) Test
For information on GACE tests, testing materials, registration dates, go to http://gace.ets.org
*Exempt the PAA Requirements with one of the following:
- SAT 1000 (Math + Verbal) or
- ACT 43 (Math + Verbal) or
- GRE 1030 (Verbal + Quantitative) if taken before August 1, 2011
- GRE 297 (Verbal+Quantitative) if taken after August 1, 2011
- Pass a GACE Content Assessment Test in a teaching field* This is the subject field that you wish to teach.
- *If already certified, elementary education may not be added as a certification field. Candidates interested in adding elementary education as a certification to an existing certificate would need to enroll in a Master’s level teaching program that includes student teaching.
- *Those interested in teaching Special Education who hold a bachelor’s degree (2.5 GPA) in any subject field may be eligible to be hired after completing Steps 1 & 2. If hired, a GACE Sp. Ed. content test would need to be passed prior to hire or asap.
- Pass the GACE Ethics 350 Entrance Test
Upon completion of above steps, where applicable, complete your online application at http://www.gcpsjobs.org and upload GACE results (or exemption documentation) and official college transcript (under the Supplemental Materials Category of the online application), add 2 current supervisory email addresses and send out the reference survey forms within your online application. References from friends/co-workers are not acceptable.
If a job offer and recommendation by a principal is made, you may opt to enter the Teach Gwinnett program, RESA TAPP Program or apply to a Master’s of Education program at a college or university while working as a teacher in GCPS to attain certification.
- Enroll in a Teacher Preparation Program at a regionally accredited college or university that includes student teaching and certification.
(Check with GCPS Human Resources to make sure the college you select has a signed a Memorandum of Understanding with GCPS if you wish to complete student teaching in the district)