A Culture of Leadership
As the state’s largest school system, GCPS values leaders who have the skills and training to lead world-class schools to increased levels of academic achievement for all students.
Because of an ever-changing demographic, school leaders must:
- Hold knowledge about instruction
- Articulate the school’s vision and mission
- Promote a positive school environment in an era of accountability
Employment Criteria for Principals and Assistant Principals and Administrative Interns (AI’s):
The employment of assistant principals shall be based on identified needs. To identify qualified individuals for consideration for principal and assistant principal positions the following steps will be applied:
- Applicants must have a completed application
- All applicants must submit a resume;
- External Applicants must have two professional references from current/most recent principal and another administrator;
- Internal Applicants must have one professional reference completed by current principal;
- Web-based assessment;
- Complete Web-based assessment - PrincipalInsight™ web-based interview designed by the Gallup Organization. If you have questions concerning the interview, please contact The Gallup Organization at email@example.com or by calling toll-free 877-425-5872
- Applicants must furnish official transcripts that include a degree statement and the date the degree was conferred from all colleges attended. Internal applicants are not required to resubmit official transcripts already on file in Human Resources and Talent Management;
- Applicants must hold or be eligible to receive a valid Educational Leadership certificate issued by the Georgia Professional Standards Commission (GaPSC). Applicants holding professional educator certificates/licenses issued in another state, the District of Columbia, a U.S. territory, the Department of Defense Dependent Schools, or the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards must submit copies of the front and back of the certificates/licenses.
Quality Plus Leader Academy
The Quality Plus Leader Academy (QPLA) is a locally created initiative that serves as an umbrella to cover all activities associated with training and development of leaders in GCPS. The goal of the QPLA is to increase student achievement by identifying, recruiting and preparing prospective school leaders; and selecting, developing, training, and supporting them to become highly effective instructional leaders in 21st century schools.
About the Quality-Plus Leader Academy
The goal of the QPLA is to increase student achievement by identifying, recruiting, and preparing prospective school leaders; and selecting, developing, training, and supporting them to become highly effective instructional leaders in 21st century schools.
The Aspiring Leader Program (ALP) and the Aspiring Principal Program (APP) are specific QPLA activities dedicated to this goal, designed for teachers aspiring to be assistant principals and assistant principals aspiring to be principals, respectively.
Mentoring is available to first and second year principals and assistant principals. Novice leaders participate in the program and current GCPS leaders are involved in monthly Leadership Development meetings, Leadership Seminars, and the Summer Leadership Conference.
The goal of the Quality-Plus Leader Academy is supported by the district’s strategic vision to build internal capacity.
Quality-Plus Leader Components
The QPLA represents a coherent, intentionally aligned, and logical model for school leader identification, recruitment, preparation, selection, development, training, support, and retention.